MISUSE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND AWARENESS OF ANTIBIOTIC HAZARD AMONG THE PUBLIC AND MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS IN THAMAR PROVINCE, IN REPUBLIC OF YEMEN

Khaled M Al Akhali, M and Abdulkarim K Alzomar, K and Noohu Abdulla Khan, A and Sirajudeen S Alavudeen, S (2013) MISUSE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND AWARENESS OF ANTIBIOTIC HAZARD AMONG THE PUBLIC AND MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS IN THAMAR PROVINCE, IN REPUBLIC OF YEMEN. PHARMACIE GLOBALE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPREHENSIVE PHARMACY, 4 (1). pp. 1-4. ISSN 0976-8157

[img] PDF
8. MISUSE OF ANTIBIOTICS AND AWARENESS OF ANTIBIOTIC HAZARD AMONG THE PUBLIC AND MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS IN THAMAR PROVINCE, IN REPUBLIC OF YEMEN.pdf

Download (542kB)
Official URL: file:///C:/Users/ONE/Downloads/04-01-04.pdf

Abstract

Misuse of antibiotics leads to antibiotic resistant. It is continuous challenge for the medical professionals. In developing countries the antibiotics are sold as over the counter drugs is one of the important reasons for the antibiotic resistance and misuse of it. A Descriptive study was conducted for six months period in Thamar province. Misuse of antibiotics was assessed by a questionnaire for the healthcare professionals and the patients. Responded questionnaire from 200 patients selected randomly from the Al-Wahdah Hospital area, and 220 prescriptions from various doctors with multiple specialties from the same province were collected. Among the 200 participants, 82% reported antibiotic use without medical prescription, and the remaining 18% took the antibiotics with medical prescription. About 68.18% of all medical prescriptions in this study were without diagnosis, only 48.18% of doctors dependent on laboratory investigations, and all of the doctors’ prescriptions (100%) in this study they prescribed antibiotics without culture sensitivity test. Most of the public did not have knowledge about the grave hazards of misuse of antibiotics, about 64% of them they did not have any awareness about the misuse of antibiotics and 36% of them known about it. The highest percentage for taking the antibiotics without medical prescription were in sore throat about 54.9% followed by abdominal pain 10.4% and Urinary tract infections 8.5%. Prescriptions without diagnosis were 68.18%, about 12.27% include drug-drug interactions, 11.36% with dose errors. The most common antibiotics with medical prescription are third generation cephalosporin about 32.73%. The antibiotics that are dispensed without medical prescription were penicillins 26.92%. A higher percentage (65.0%) of antibiotic use was recorded in Ghana and between 30.0% and 60.0% of the patients in the primary health care centers received antibiotics in the developed and the developing countries. Similarly, a study which was carried out in Cambodia showed that the percentage of antibiotics which was used ranged from 10.0% to 66.0%.

Item Type: Article
Subjects: Pharmacy
Divisions: College of Pharmacy > Pharmacy
Depositing User: KHALED ALAKHALI
Date Deposited: 27 Apr 2017 09:26
Last Modified: 27 Apr 2017 09:26
URI: http://eprints.kku.edu.sa/id/eprint/727

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item